Monday, May 21, 2012

Homemade Dry Laundry Detergent

Since venturing into the world of soap making I've been exposed to all kinds of possible things I could make.  Some things, I just sort of shrug my shoulders and say, "meh".  And others I just can't wait to try! 

This was one of the things I couldn't wait to try for my own personal use.  Laundry Soap.  And it is SO EASY that I really don't know why I haven't tried it before.  The recipe, pretty much couldn't be simpler.

Dry Laundry Soap

1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 cup of Oxyclean
1 bar of Fels-Naptha (Zote, Kiss My Face pure olive oil, or Ivory)
Few drops of Essential Oil (optional)

Shred the bar soap.  I read in one post to leave the soap overnight before shredding because it helps dry it out.  I don't know if this is true or not, but I am a girl who follows directions, so I did it.  Not sure if it made the shredding easier since I have nothing else to compare it to.  Some people leave the shreds as they are, some people then run the shreds through a food processor.  I chose to leave them as is.  Mix with remaining ingredients.  Done.

Use 1-2 Tablespoons per load.  I have an HE washer, and on my washer you have to turn the cup around in order to accomidate dry detergent. 

I've run one load so far and I'm very impressed!  This load had my kitchen apron in it, which was stained with berries from jam making and it came out spotless!

Here's the video on youtube that taught me out to do it, I thought it was one of the better demonstrations out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment