Thursday, August 2, 2012

Art Glass Inspiration

When I make soap, I intentionally and unintentionally draw inspiration from things I love.  One of the things I love is art glass. 

Hubs and I recently took a trip to Seattle, and you pretty much can't go there without seeing amazing art glass.  Whether it's Chihuly or some other amazing artist, it's everywhere!  (And if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend reading this story about me and Mr. Chihuly.)

On our way home, we went to the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, WA.  Currently on display there is an exhibit by Lino Tagliapietra. 

This was the first of his pieces that caught my eye!  I love the implied movement and how it appears to be defying gravity!


 Loved the colors on this one.  Hubs was impressed with the ones that had scored marks all over the glass, and this one was like that.


 I thought that the layers on these vases were really interesting.  Curious to see if I could make a soap version of these!



 The blue with dark edges looks so much like a landscape scene!  It's truly mind boggling to me how they can do this with molten hot liquid glass!


 I think the artist was showing his playful side with these!  The one on the left was titled "Batman".


 This art glass wall hanging was huge!  And of course, blue is my favorite color.


 Another amazing squiggle!  I'd love to have something like this in my house.  Only problem?  Twin 5 year olds.  Need I say more?


 Of everything on display, I thought this was the most impressive!  It must have taken so much time and patience to make each of those layers, etched in a different pattern, with that clear layer in the middle that the observer looks into to see the inside of the piece!  Incredible!


So what kinds of things to you like to look at to find inspiration?

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful! I love the layered colored vases as well.

    Thanks for sharing. Happy Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete